This morning we rose bright and early and headed to the clinic to meet with Dr F and hear her thoughts on what went wrong.
The basic run down for this cycle was to much to fast. Even though I was on a very small dose in comparison to most women, my ovaries went into hyper drive and produced to much estrogen, unfortunately the follicles were slower at developing than the estrogen and this created an unbalance. When they attempted to "coast" me by reducing my drugs, most patients similar to me maintain their estrogen levels... my ovaries freaked and shut down.
On Monday my Estrogen was 2378, on Tuesday it was 2158 we doubled our meds and had the estrogen risen again we would have been ok. Shockingly my estrogen plummeted to 920 yesterday. She was surprised how sensitive my body was to the drugs both the initial low dose and then the reduction.
She has tons of hope and was super encouraging. Because of my age, egg quality and the fact I have had a term pg my chances with IVF are 50/50. Phenomenal odds... doesn't get better than that. She told us that with a drop in estrogen like we experienced our egg quality would be terrible at retrieval and that we would most like not even get a single viable embryo.
Since my insurance counts only cycles that make it to retrieval, this doesn't count against us and that was also a determining factor for canceling. She wants to insure that when we do retrieve, if it doesn't work the first time, we have viable embryos to freeze for out next rounds.
So where does that put us.... well we had a good cry and good talk last night... we broke the news to Sarah and she was saddened but understands that this isn't easy. I gave it alot of thought and said many a pray for peace and a sign.... I woke this morning still saddened but at peace and wanting to try again. Hearing the dr be so encouraging we have agreed to give it another shot (bad pun LOL).
So here is the new plan.... I start progesterone tonight, they put me on a natural one just in case yesterday morning's indiscretion results in a viable uterine pregnancy (though she said today that the low estrogen means my follicles are collapsing and I won't ovulate) and I'm starting back on Advandia. When af arrives I call and go in for labs and u/s and then start the birth control pills again.
Since the clinic is on vacation while I am on vacation I may be doing an extra week or so of bcps but we are looking at starting injections as soon as we get back from vacation with a potential transfer middle of January.... hopefully a late birthday present for me :-)
Thursday, November 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment