Thursday, February 26, 2009

Sorry Hun you won't win this battle

So its new carseat time for Sarah.... hard to believe that our Britax marathon is expiring but it is :-( so its time for a new seat. Dh is pushing for just a high back booster..... I am a car seat freak and don't feel that at her height and weight she is ready for that yet.

Sarah is tiny..... 42.5in and 42lbs for a 6yr she is only in the 4% for height!!! So while she is mature enough to handle a high back booster I don't feel she is physically mature enough to be out of 5pt harness. She is also mostly legs so her shoulder to hip height is tiny meaning when she sits I'm not really confident that the belt positioners are going to fit her correctly.

This is a huge bone of contention between dh & I.... I honestly don't understand why he is pushing for her to be out of it.... yes they are cheaper but we could have bought a cheaper car but didn't because of the safety rating ours got so how is this any different???? He thinks I'm being over protective and would keep in her a 5pt forever (ummmm its what Nascar and Ferrari use so there must be some link to safety there).

I finally laid down the law for him today.... she will be harnessed until she out grows the harness limits of her next seat.

So now the fun begins of picking out a new seat..... we are considering 3 options...
1 Going with another Marathon...
Pros- Sarah loves the seat, is definately not going to out grow it height or weight wise anytime soon and then when the baby is ready for it (Sarah will be 8) she can move into a high back booster.
Cons- We eat 2yrs of the car seats life by using it on Sarah so we would need to buy the new baby another seat leading to this same arguement 6yrs from now LOL.... Also if Sarah is still tiny at 8 then what..... no way I could convince him to 5pt her then (yes I'm a safety freak)

2 Go with the Graco Natalius or Britax Frontier
Pros- Both are available at BRU so Sarah could "test drive" then.... both get excellent ratings and are harnessing until 65lbs and 80lbs respectively and both convert to high back boosters.
Cons- Heavier than the Marathon (by 7lbs!!!) we travel alot and lugging the Marathon is a bit of pita..... now I'm picturing lugging a Marathon and one of these around... Since they convert to a booster I may have to fight dh to keep her in her 5pt (even though she never complains about it).... I know she can unbuckle the Marathon (thats a good thing she is mature enough to know not to until we say too) but I may have to help her with these not such a good thing in the winter with a new baby and 2ft of snow

3 Go with the Britax Regent
Pros- Longest 5pt harness of any carseat 85lbs..... no booster option so she would have to stay harnessed until 85lbs
Cons- Does not convert into a booster so we would still need to get a booster (she needs to be in one until she is 4'9" this seat is only rated to 4'5").... bigger than the other 2 and just as heavy..... Not available at BRU so we couldn't test drive it

Sigh...... decisions... decisions.....

1 comment:

Ellen said...

Don'tcha love the car seat issues? NOT! We have dd (Hannah) in the Regent and we just bought a Frontier for the other vehicle. And forked over the money for a Boulevard for the new baby. A chunk of change on car seats when I have a Britax Wizard and a Marathon that are perfectly good, just 6 years old. =(

Anyway, glad to see your US pics! They are great! Hope you are managing work with all the nasty feelings. I would frequently tell myself "But you wanted this baby so badly!" when the nausea/exhaustion, etc is in full gear.

Ellen

 
Blog Design By AndreaBetty @ Dilly Dollop