Well today was not how I wan't to spend my Sunday..... I woke to find out I was spotting.
We immediately called the clinic and they said "You don't have to come in, just rest but if you are concerned go to the er" Of course having had miscarriages in the past we are concerned.... seriously concerned.
So we get dressed, pack up Sarah and head off to the ER, after being there almost an hour with no one being called back we are finally taken into triage. I'm immediately admitted and put into a room. About 10min later the nurse comes in and what unfolds next is the absolute wierdest and possible most inhumane course of treatment.
The nurse checks in with us and tells us I will have a pelvic and u/s today.... ok that seems fine and then says she'll be back in a few minutes to get blood for labs. While she is gone transport arrives and starts to wheel us to u/s..... she stops them and says she isn't ready yet and takes me back to the room.
Once inside the room she informs me I need to have a foley cath inserted.... WTH seriously.... that it is standard for all pregnant women who need an u/s so they can fill the bladder...... WHAT! What ever happened to IVs or making them drink..... so she caths me.... excruiating pain, followed by extreme discomfort. I'm crying at this point when they bring Sarah and dh back in.
Transport shows up again and takes us to u/s where the woman proceeds to hook my cath up to a saline line, clamping my cath to fill my bladder..... I warned her my bladder is really small, that it always takes so much less to fill than people believe ect... did she listen nope and instead of cutting off the saline when my bladder reach a level she could see what she needed to she left it dripping and continuing to fill my poor bladder. Which she then pushes on with the transducer. I'm crying again.... I can't even look at the u/s screen because I hurt so bad...
What should have been a moment of joyous relief was one of torture and humiliation. Finally after what seems to be an eternity she is done and transport comes and take me back.
The dr comes in and my foley is removed... he does a quick check and finds the cervix is closed. We get a quick update that the baby is measuring at 6wks 3day (I honestly don't trust that given it wasn't a transvaginal scan) and the heart rate is 133 (right on track at 7wks if the baby really was 6wks 3days its heart rate should have been beneath 120).
I got dressed, went home and took a long bath and then laid in bed reading the rest of the day. Cause of the spotting is unknown and now thanks to cath everytime I pee it feels like I'm peeing glass shards. I'm on antibiotics to prevent UTI since I get one each time I'm cath'd
I honestly am appalled that this is how they treat pregnant woman at this hospital's er, the risk of UTI, the extreme discomfort and patient humilation is just inhumane.
Sunday, February 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




4 comments:
I'm so sorry! I know how much it stinks! I had the same thing done when I was spotting at 13 weeks with my first pregnancy, only to find out I had m/c and gone through all of that to be told. I'm glad your little bean is doing well! Did they say for sure that there is only one? (I have a feeling it's 1 also, but just wondering. :D ) (((Hugs))) for such a crappy time!
Leah, sorry that your experience was so awful. The ED where I work has the same policy.. It stinks though. I am glad that you know there is a babe in there but hugs for the pain and trauma.
OMG. How AWFUL. I've never heard of that before (the cath thing) how friggin nuts is that. I can fill my bladder in no time flat, like you i have a tiny bladder. I praise you for not chewy her a new you know what. rest sweetie!
Oh, I'm so sorry! When I had my miscarriage, they cath'ed me and it was soo horrible...and I can understand the peeing glass feel. Mine didn't last forever, so hopefully your's won't either. Glad baby was ok though! (Mommy2LivandNoah- on HC)
Post a Comment