Wednesday, April 29, 2009

16wks 3days

Well I knew it was only a matter of time..... We had our dr appt yesterday with the other ob at my office and he takes one look at my chart and says "WOW, you have alot going on in your past".......... We chatted for a bit and then he said "we are going to have you see our high risk dr at the hospital"

I knew it was coming, frankly I was suprised they didn't do that at the first visit but I was kinda hoping to avoid it. Obviously I want the best medical care and to do what is best for the baby but at the same time, I was kinda hoping for a "normal" pg.

We discussed the possibility of a VBAC and he said that was out of the question. So I will be having a scheduled c-sec at 39 wks unless the high risk dr deems we need to do it sooner. If he makes that call (it won't be until 34-36wks) then I will have an amnio to check the baby's lungs to determine if they are ready and if not then they will weigh the risk to the baby in utero vs early birth (steriods have no affect on lung maturity after a certain point). SCARY!

He also said that IVF patients tend to have a higher risk of preterm labor and IGR (intrauterine growth retardation). I didn't feel like challenging him on how that statistic compared to normally obtained pgs in women of the same age group (IVF'r tend to be 35+ which is an at risk group anyway). He also mentioned my age...which my darling dh was so kind to point out I will be just 3 months shy of my 35 b-day when the baby is born.

So the plan is I have my Quad Screen some time this week (it checks for the down syndrome markers), I will also have a 1hr Glucose Tolerence test at the same time since I was borderline at 28wks with Sarah they want to do it sooner and they are pushing the referal to the high risk dr through so I will have a level 2 u/s with him next week or the week after. I will probably be having monthly level 2 u/s from this point on.

Over all I really like Dr M, sure the conversations we had weren't fun and this pg is going to be so much more medical than Sarah's but I appreciate their approach to the subjects and their honesty.... he was also sweet to Sarah and let her hold the doppler and "help" find the hb (148). The hb was so much louder this time (we hadn't listened since 15wks since we had the u/s last week) and the baby was sleeping so they found it immediately.

On a happy note, according to their scale I have gained less that .25lbs this month YAY my scale says a very different story but since theirs is the official record thats what I'm going with LOL My scale at home says I have gained 3lbs since I got pg.

I have decided at this point not to even see the midwives at the practice unless they are the only ones available. Since VBAC has been ruled out, I need to decide who will be doing my c-sec and feel that only seeing the drs would be the best way to ensure consistent care and help me make that decision.

I promise the u/s pictures are coming, dh was supposed to scan them for me last night but we all went to be when we put Sarah to bed last night.

No comments:

 
Blog Design By AndreaBetty @ Dilly Dollop